Every day more self tanning lotions are coming out and are being improved, such as those that contain bronzers to let you see where you’re putting the lotion on and natural fragrances to reduce the chemical smell from your skin cells reacting to DHA.
In addition, there are other steps that you need to follow to help to ensure that you get the proper color the first time, every time. These include:
• EXFOLIATION! This is in capital letters because this is the one main cardinal rules when you apply any sunless tanning product. At least 4 hours before your session, make sure that you exfoliate.
If you use a salt-based scrub, either do this one day prior to your tanning or use a quality cleanser after so that no oil remains on the surface of the skin.
• Next, you really should use gloves. Using gloves helps to prevent the orange palms syndrome. Make sure the gloves snugly fit over your hands otherwise you will have some trouble applying the tan evenly.
One particularly useful tip is that if you can’t get gloves, keep a warm mixture of bleach water next to you so that you can immediately clean your palms off afterwards.
• Another step that is extremely important is to apply the tanning solution section by section. Many experienced self tanners suggest starting at the legs and working up the body.
Applying the lotion in sections, especially small ones, will help to avoid missing areas and streaking as well as make the application process easier.
• At each section, after you apply the self tanning lotion, work it into the skin until it is completely absorbed. Don’t be vigorous at this, a gentle motion will do, you just want to make sure that you get the full benefit of the lotion.
• If you didn’t buy another tanning product specifically designed for your face, use what you are using on the body.
It’s a good idea though to mix a couple of dabs of regular lotion in with the tanning product to disperse the coloring more evenly.
• In addition, tanning lotions will tint your eyebrows and if they are tinted too much, they will look kind of funny. It has been recommended that you use a damp Q-tip on the eyebrows after you’ve applied the tan to remove any leftover lotion.
• Tan the back of your hands gently and make sure to sponge around the dry areas of your body, such as the soles of the feet, elbows and knees to remove any excess.
• And lastly, let yourself dry completely before you put your clothes on.
When you are applying a self tanning lotion, remember to follow the directions on the bottle. There are also though, other tips of the trade that will help to give you the best tan.